Monday, August 15, 2016

I’M STILL STANDING


Don't you know I'm still standing longer than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, crying like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Mouthing the lyrics of the songs without praise on my mind
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah



With apologies to Elton John, "I'm Still Standing.”

If you don’t immediately recognize my point, let me explain. For the past two decades evangelical churches have been extending the length of the praise song packages within the Sunday worship service format. It began with three songs in 10 minutes, then four songs in fifteen, then twenty minutes and it can be thirty minutes in duration. And some music leadership somewhere decided it would be true to biblical form if we stood for the entire time, so we do, weekly, weakly. Granted if the lyrics contain a 'rise up’ or a 'stand up’ motif, then act the biped. God created us with ’sitter-downers’ too.  Just saying, the LORD is okay with us sitting for some of these songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment