Sunday, August 30, 2015

GENUINELY CHRISTIAN YET PRACTICALLY AGNOSTIC (3)

'Christian' and 'Agnostic' is an unintentional pairing, incongruous in the extreme, and utterly wasted. Some followers of Jesus unnaturally couple the explanatory nouns Christian and Agnostic by their own behaviour. Why would and how could committed Christians live in such a way that at the most elemental planes of existence they are uncertain? How could they be content with that?  The truth is, they acclimated themselves to this ambiguous version of Christian living. It just seemed to happen. They busied themselves with daily routines of necessary chores and pleasurable distractions and marginalized their contact with God. They failed to know God or discern God's participation in their lives. They construed scripture as an ancillary resource and regarded prayer with infrequent relevance.  How could they think that this is what God expects? The "they" is "we" and "me," and that's what this series of thoughts is purposed to disclose.

Neither am I sitting in judgement, nor I trust, are readers jumping to pejorative conclusions about me. Something about which I am convinced, is that God wants us to know him. He wants to be known by me. That is a discernible explanation for the Bible, which I understand to be a self-revelation. In the Old Testament scripture, God revealed his character, which emphasized his love, righteousness, justice, wrath as well as his promises. With the New Testament God revealed Jesus who is God's character in human flesh. I am also confident that God wants me to converse with him, talk to him about all the regions of my life, in other words, to depend upon him. It was Jesus who invited followers to call God, 'Father.' That speaks to me of relationship rather than mere ritual. I cannot think that God is satisfied with my uncertainties.

A self-assessment is vital. The measureable criteria cannot be my proficiency gifts, my work record, my academic achievements, my artistic abilities, my church involvement, or the number of my friends. The analysis must consider what is actually happening in my mind and my emotions with respect to God and how I relate to him, listen to him and speak to him. Only as those proportions bump up, can I see a possible reduction in agnosticism quotient.


(I am pursuing this subject in a few posts in the days ahead)

No comments:

Post a Comment