Saturday, January 25, 2014

CAN I PAINT GOD?

I am a painter, and I have imagination, and if I consider painting a picture of God, not as an idol to be worshipped but rather as an artistic illustration to tell a story about God, what can I possibly paint? How can I paint God? God is not observable. God is unseen. He’s invisible. I have nothing upon which to base a rendering.
Oh, I could surmise that because Jesus was an adult when he prayed the words, “our Father who lives in heaven,” that an image of his father must at least be portrayed as a person one generation older than Jesus himself, and since men in that first century culture did not shave their beards, God would likely have a long white beard. The famous Italian artist Michelangelo had no hesitation in painting a representation of God on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome. In his central scene of creation Michelangelo painted God as a Caucasian white-bearded grandfatherly patriarchal figure extending his forefinger in a gesture by which he was imparting life to a newly created Adam. Now that is pure speculation and it is likely gloriously incorrect because no one has seen God the Father and the Bible says that God is spirit and we cannot assume God looks like a man. In fact the task of painting God is more difficult than any of us might imagine.

I often play orchestral classical music while I paint. But what if I stimulate my creative ability by processing the words to one of the great hymns of the previous century, a Welsh tune with lyrics written by Walter Chalmers Smyth, entitled, ‘Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise.’ I could become so absolutely mesmerized by the person of God, so enthralled in the worship of the incomprehensible, invisible God that I cannot even imagine how to paint him. Listen to the words and consider how could we possibly paint a portrait of this?

1. Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
In light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
Most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,
Almighty, victorious, Thy great name we praise.

With this painting quandary, I turn to Colossians 1:15 and here I find this revelation. “He is the image of the invisible God.” Who is he who is the image of the invisible God? Upon reading this sentence, I see as an artist, that if I want to paint a picture of God, I can paint Jesus Christ and I have nailed it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment