Sunday, January 5, 2014

OWNERSHIP - WE ARE THE CHURCH

I was a church pastor for over forty years. I have been retired for five years. I am wearing a new pair of glasses.

This past Sunday our pastor told us that we are not merely doing church. We are the church. We are a people group within the larger Church of Christ. Inherent in that statement and the theology of church to which it speaks, is the idea that being church concerns relationships, understanding, mutually concerned, selfless, altruistic and well intentioned relationships.
I was glad to hear him say it and I can tell in so many ways that he and other church leaders are actually seeking to develop this kind of church community inside and outside the actual church building.

This impresses me because many churches that have theology proper nailed down, are all about programs. Many of the largest churches are a perpetual education conference because they are equipped with a continuous array of programs. People believe that they need programs. Parents want programs for their children and teenagers. Church members will leave their church to join another church that has the desirable programs. That’s been happening in my home church.

I suppose that at best, your family’s needs are met when you choose a church for its programs. At worst, you don’t make any close relationships but you do have programs in which to be involved. That expresses a jaundiced outlook doesn’t? It’s a genuine concern that I have. People can attend church for the music or the preaching or the classes and perhaps the people don’t matter. I know, I was a pastor for over 40 years. I have been retired for five years. I have a new pair of lenses through which objectivity is a bit more easily discernible.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting. The other day I wrote to one of our mutual friends: "I have . . . been thinking about fellowship. It seems that what most people expect from going to church is an expression of fellowship with God and with other Christians." Seemingly, that is part of what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete